How do I install a tar.gz file?

Questions about applications and software

User avatar

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 am

How do I install a tar.gz file?

Hello,
due to a new government bureocracy I'm forced to scan my ID card with a chip in order to access my official documents. In order to do that, I need to install a certain app for the ID card scanner. I've downloaded it but it's something ending in tar.gz. Please could you explain in an EXTREMELY SIMPLE way how do I install it? Thank you.
I've tried searching on google but I didn't understand the instructions or what I copied didn't work. I don't even know how do I write the file address in the terminal. It's in "home" folder.

Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

User avatar

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 26180
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: How do I install a tar.gz file?

Post by xenopeek »

A tar.gz file is just an archive, like a zip file. You can just double-click it in your file manager to open the archive and then click the extract button to extract the contents of the archive somewhere.

After that we can't answer in general how to proceed with installing it. Like I said, it's just an archive file like a zip file. How to install it, if that is possible, differs from one archive file to another.

For further help with we'll need to have access to the archive file. Do you have a link to a page where it can be downloaded? You also referred to instructions; if those aren't on that page could you also link to the instructions? With that we'll likely be able to help you install it.

As to your home folder, on the terminal that is represented with the tilde ~ character. So say for example you have a file called archive.tar.gz in your home folder, you could use the path ~/archive.tar.gz in any terminal command to refer to it.

Image

User avatar

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 am

Re: How do I install a tar.gz file?

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Thank you for your reply xenopeek!
I'm still confused
The application is called Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.tar.gz
it's located in /home/vesna
the instructions say: "open the file in the directory with $tar –xvf Aplikacia_pre_eID_<platforma>_<distro>.tar.gz. There are more types of this application, for various distors
Then it says there will be an installation file. I can already see the installation file when I open the file in the window.
It says install the file with command: $./install.sh
How do I do that? It keeps saying no such file or directory, or access denied... I'm truly tired, I have absolutely no idea how to do this!
It's on this site but I'm afraid you won't understand much https://www.slovensko.sk/sk/na-stiahnutie I've got Linux Mint 18 64

Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

User avatar

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25
Posts: 26180
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: How do I install a tar.gz file?

Post by xenopeek »

Right, so you can do this all from your file manager without needing to run any commands. The install.sh script they provide is primarily for Ubuntu, which by default doesn't come with the software you need to install this program while Linux Mint does come with that software by default.

Steps are as follows:
1. Open your file manager and go to the directory where you have the Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.tar.gz.
2. Double-click the Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.tar.gz file to open it in the archive manager.
3. Select the Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.deb file in the archive, then click the extract button. You only need this one file.
4. You can close the archive manager.
5. Now back in your file manager locate the extracted Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.deb file and double-click it to launch its installer.
6. A graphical installer will pop up, check that this is the correct file for your system and then you can click the Install button to install it.

Once the installer completes you can delete the Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.tar.gz and Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.deb files, you no longer need them.

Image

User avatar

phd21
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9982
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: How do I install a tar.gz file?

Post by phd21 »

Hi cinnamoncoffee,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Double-clicking the Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint.deb file is the easiest option, otherwise, you must be in the directory folder of the application or its installer to run the command or specify the path location to the installation file. You can use your file manager to browse into the new folder created when you extracted their downloaded archive file then right-click or select a toolbar option to open a terminal (console terminal) in that folder, then you can run their installation command. You may also need to use the root superuser "sudo" in front of the command for it to install properly.

From within their folder

or

From any directory folder, specify the actual path location to their file.
Example:

Code: Select all

                  sudo bash ~/Downloads/Aplikacia_pre_eID_amd64_mint/install.sh                

Hope this helps ...

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's , Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

User avatar

cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 am

Re: How do I install a tar.gz file?

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Thank you so much xenopeek and phd21!
You're so kind to me and I've been able to install the app and access my official documents! I trully appreciate your help!!! You've saved my sanity today! It's so kind of you to help strangers like me :) I wish you all the best :)

Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA

Menard
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 am
Location: Angers (France)

Re: How do I install a tar.gz file?

Post by Menard »

The common problem with these applications is when we must explore hundreds of files in many subfolders to find an installer file (if it exists) ... Is this too complicated to create an automatic task in Linux to give us the installer of an application or to give us the readme. Believe me or not I had this, an application with a readme which gave nothing interesting and with an installer very difficult to find in the mass of files.

Inside a tar.gz the installer is generally a .sh file or there is no installer as with Firefox, just a folder containing the application to install manually in the /usr/lib
Sometimes there is a .run file (Some display drivers for example)
I never had a .deb file.

Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon (Kernel 5.13.0-21)
AMD APU A8 7600 (3100 MHz to 3800 MHz) with DDR3 1833 MHz 4 GB x2
(CPU limited to 4x 3.1 GHz by default, so Linux gives no support of the AMD Turbo-core with these CPUs)